01/07/2011

USA, part I

Hello, ladies and gentlemen! Now I'm back from my vacation, and I just have to say it was great. I think I might still have jet lag, even though I thought I don't, but since I haven't been able to choose the photos to show you earlier than this.. Believe me, I've tried, but I was always too tired. I decided to start from the beginning, even if I have to spend two hours choosing my photos. I also considered doing this outfit by outfit, but this way I can also explain what we did, even if I'm not wearing any special clothing in all of the photos. Let the story begin!

So, exactly three weeks ago we arrived at Seattle, after having travelled at least 24 hours (train, waiting, aeroplane, waiting, aeroplane...). As a considerate man, Miia's dad decided to wake us with the hotel telephone, after assuring the night before that we don't have to get up early. I can tell we weren't too exhilarated about that. But that way we got to see a bit of Seattle, we went to Pike Place Market and saw the delicious bubble gum wall nearby.

seattle
Amerikka (17)
Delicious bubble gums

On our way from Seattle to Almira we stopped at various places, for example to see a wild horse monument called Grandfather Cuts Loose the Ponies.
ponies
horses

I had never seen the prairie before, so it was truly interesting. Almost no trees, and just fields, fields, fields. We went to Almira because of Eila and Patrick's work, and stayed a couple of nights with the Short family. I was glad of the opportunity to have a glance at American family life both in the country and in a city. Everyone was really friendly, contrary to some of my experiences in France. But one thing I always wonder is whether Americans always mean what they say when they, for example, promise you accomodation whenever you want to come, or tell that you speak English very well, without a foreign accent. I especially hope the last claim is true, since I had to change my accent completely! You might have noticed that I'm a sucker for England..


Another funny experience was going to church there. I couldn't take it seriously and I had never had so much fun in a church! All the singing, clapping, and shaking hands with people (I still don't understand why we did that?) was just out of a movie. And the potluck after the service was quite yummy. 
kittie

This jail building was awesome, can it really have been a jail once? I hope Miia doesn't mind me using this photo, but I think she looks like a perfect criminal.
miiajail

Visiting Almira was something different. It's one of those towns that is full of closed stores and empty buildings. There's only a couple of blocks of houses in the centre, and the other residents have their farms a few miles away. Like I said, I had never seen the prairie, which was kind of weird. You could see the fields till the horizon. I didn't take many pictures of that, because it's hard to understand if you don't see it yourself.

almira3
almira
This is one of my favourite, simple outfits at the moment, I love those tennis shoes.
almira2
dry falls

To be continued!

7 comments:

Harlow Darling said...

So many great photos of you! Your outfits make me think of what Marilyn Monroe would wear on a casual day. Can't wait to see more photos of your trip, I've never been to America!

Rebeccak said...

It looks like a wonderful time!

Kitten loves vintage said...

That bubble gum wall looks pretty gross :P And the kittens are adorable! Looking forward to more photos!

Ines Hunt said...

Such a great post! I love love love America, they have so many different things inside one country: landscapes, people, accents... I really want to go back someday!

Looks like you had a really nice time (shockingly, at church too =P) and you looked lovely (but that's not news).

Ow btw I sent you a couple of letters after I received yours (I sent them like, a reaaaaally long time ago)I guess you wasn't in France anymore =/ If you want to send me a letter, my address is the same^^

TheMadTwins said...

Wow that place looks amazing! You are so lucky :D
The kitten is so adorable

Roseate Spoonbill said...

These photos are so beautiful. Very inspiring outfits :)
I've traveled through the prairie before, and its so beautiful! Thanks for sharing these photos, cant wait to see more of your trip.

Gina Americana said...

So glad to see that you had a fun time in my homeland!

Post a Comment